2018 Digital Development Awards
Like railways and roads before it, the ongoing digital revolution is unleashing waves of innovation. The potential of digital technologies and services has given way to the promise of a digital world, spurring economic growth, improving health outcomes, and lifting millions out of poverty. Tapping into this potential and promise is central to USAID’s mission of helping countries on their journey to self-reliance by promoting inclusive growth and resilient, democratic societies while advancing our security and prosperity.
In an effort to recognize USAID Missions, Bureaus and partners that are helping build an inclusive digital economy while accelerating development impact with cutting-edge technologies and advanced data analysis, the Lab is hosting the second annual Digital Development Awards (“the Digis”).
2018 Digital Development Awards What are we looking for in an application?
The Digital Development Awards will recognize recent or current USAID-funded activities that:
- Integrate digital technologies or services into the strategy, design and implementation of a USAID activity which contributes in a measurable way toward achieving the development objective(s).
- Leverage digital information systems and other digital data collection and engagement tools to enable adaptive or iterative decision-making and empower relevant local decision makers.
- Apply advanced data and geographic analysis to improve strategic planning, design, monitoring, and/or evaluation of USAID's programs.
- Strengthen the digital ecosystem through policy reform, market facilitation, or public good investment that supports greater access to and usage of digital services and data.
- Build lasting digital capacity among beneficiaries, local partners, host governments and the private sector through the use of digital tools and data-driven approaches in a USAID activity.
All applications will be assessed through the lens of the Principles for Digital Development - guidelines developed by the international donor community to help development practitioners integrate established best practices into technology-enabled programs.
A panel from the U.S. Global Development Lab’s Center for Digital Development will judge applications and select the winning teams. Whether a Digi will be awarded is decided and in the sole discretion of the Center for Digital Development.
How to apply
Click here to submit your application -- A list of all questions required in the application is available for viewing at the bottom of this page. The application deadline is June 15, 2018.
Who Is Eligible to Enter
The Digis will be awarded to USAID-funded projects and activities. An individual from USAID or any USAID partner organization that has implemented or is currently implementing a USAID-funded project can submit an application on behalf of the project. Implementing partners submitting an application should consult with their appropriate USAID point of contact.
All USAID and implementing partner staff working on a USAID-funded project are encouraged to apply, regardless of the size, region, or portfolio of the activity. To be eligible, applicants must clearly demonstrate that the activity applies digital technologies and/or data-driven approaches in its programing to more efficiently and effectively achieve development objectives. USAID implementing partners, Foreign Service Nationals, Mission and Bureau staff, and U.S. personal services contractors are strongly encouraged to submit applications.
Digi Award Recognition
Winners will receive Agency recognition and public visibility for their groundbreaking work. This could include the following:
- Profile in “Digital Development at USAID” publication
- A Certificate of Appreciation
- An invitation to deliver a presentation at a USAID event
- Blog post featuring the winners’ work
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check out the 2017 Digital Development Award winners
- Review some additional examples of USAID projects that have successfully used digital technologies and data-driven approaches to achieve their development objectives
- See additional information on “What are we looking for in an application?”
Complete List of Application Questions
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email address
- Name of your company/organization
- Job Title
- Where is your primary office location?
- Project/Activity Title
- USAID AOR or COR
- Country and/or region project is operating in?
- What was the specific development problem that your approach/technology deployment helped to address? (400 words or less)
- Describe the approach/technology that was undertaken/deployed and explain why it was chosen. (400 words or less)
- How did the approach/technology that was undertaken/deployed align with the USAID Mission/Bureau strategy? (250 words or less)
- Who is/was the target audience/end user of this approach/technology deployment? (250 words or less)
Describe if/how the approach/technology benefited or built capacity of the end user. (250 words or less)
- What are/were the expected outcomes/impact of the use of this approach/technology deployment? (250 words or less)
What extent have these expected outcomes/impact been achieved? (Tell us about your documented achievements) (400 words or less)
Describe if/how these outcomes/impact will be sustained (250 words or less)
- How did your approach/technology deployment maximize the strengths of different partners (e.g. local partners, host government or private sector) to achieve success? AND What were the roles of each partner in the process? (400 words or less)
- How does your approach/technology implementation align with the Principles for Digital Development ?
Please identify which principles your project aligns with and provide a brief description/example of how your project embodied these principles. (600 words or less)
- Did the approach/technology deployment support greater access and usage of digital services and data? Please describe. (250 words or less)
- Include any links to evaluations, publications or videos documenting the project/activity.
- How did you hear about the Digi Awards?