Asia-Pacific E-Resilience Toolkit Tool
DHMS Weather Monitoring & Early Warning
The Department of Hydro Met Services (DHMS) website provides hazard related information. It provides current information on meteorology, hydrology, snow and glaziers and early warnings. Each hazard monitoring system is linked to real time sensors (and ground personnel) which are in turn linked to sirens to warn people living in high risk areas. Overall, the website provides weather forecasts, real time water level readings, and news.
DHMS provides weather, water, and climate data, forecasts and warnings for the protection of life and property and enhancement of the national economy. Its specific objectives are:
- To develop effective hydro-meteorological and flood warning services networks and databases to provide appropriate and timely services and products.
- To strengthen institutional and capacity development.
- To Strengthen cooperation with national, regional and international organization to carry out research and development study related to hydro-meteorology and water resources.
The department aims to provide reliable and timely hydro-meteorological information needed by various agencies for:
- Natural resources policy formulation and planning for effective management of water resources for domestic, agricultural, commercial, industrial, recreational, and ecological uses;
- Hydropower planning, development and operation as well as for other water related infrastructures;
- Planning for Agricultural, Construction, Tourism and Health Sector and other Environmental Sectors;
- Provide information and services for disaster risk reduction;
- Weather and climate forecasting, flood forecasting and warning services to minimize the loss of life and property as a result of hydro-meteorological related hazards,such as floods, droughts, wind storms, snow avalanches, GLOF etc.;
- To establish institutional linkages and coordinate with international organizations such as WMO, UNESCO, SAARC/BIMSTEC, ICIMOD etc.
- To maintain national, bi-lateral, regional, and international cooperation related to hydro-meteorology as well as exchange of data;
- To enable the development of resource pool of qualified professionals/specialist/experts in the field of hydrology and meteorology;
- Planning, coordinate and conduct research related to hydrology, meteorology, climatology, water resources, snow, glaciers, climate change etc.
The department works with international partners to implement projects to enhance its capacity and effectiveness and to be a part of regional efforts to combat cross-boarder disasters.
The online weather information and the services of the department are an integral part of disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response contributing to e-resilience of the country.