Sentinel Asia Web-GIS Technology
The Sentinel Asia initiative is an international collaboration among space agencies, disaster management agencies, and international agencies for applying remote sensing and Web-GIS technologies to support disaster management in the Asia-Pacific region. Its aims include the following:
- Improve safety in society by Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and space technologies;
- Improve the speed and accuracy of disaster preparedness and early warning;
- Minimize the number of victims and social/economic losses.
The main activities of Sentinel Asia are as follows:
- Emergency observation by Earth observation satellites upon request in cases of major disasters;
- Working group activities focusing on specific disasters such as wildfires, floods, glacial lake outburst floods (GLOF), and tsunamis;
- Capacity building and human resources development for effective disaster management.